Monday, December 8, 2008

Chapter one - King Galent

King Galent slouched in his uncomfortable throne, contemplating the news. All the members of his royal guard were silent, waiting for the kings reaction. The king sat amongst his royal guard.
"Assassination, are you sure?" The king's voice boomed through his auditorium.
"Yes, my lord. I personally dispatched our best spies. According to their information, King Slachorix is planning an assassination. Probably as a diversion so he can enter our kingdom with more ease." Sir Cort stood tall in the hall. Wearing the traditional Brishire blue-green armor, a short sword at his side. Sir Cort had served the king for many years, longer then anyone else in the Kings Royal Guard.
"I assume their word is reliable, Sir Cort?" The king asked, already sure of the answer.
"Absolutely." The Royal Guard said with absolute conviction. "The spies I dispatched are the best at what they do, they would not guide us wrong."
"My lord, if I may?" A new voice. Galent turned to see Sir Dyses. Dyses was new to the kings royal order, but he was one of the best tacticians the land had ever seen, not to mention a fierce fighter, for one so young. He stood at just under six feet, with cool gray eyes and dark brown hair.
"Go ahead, Dyses." The king commanded.
"Well, it's possible this is a trap. King Slachorix is no fool, he would keep information of an assassination to only himself and the senior members of his council. Perhaps he planted this myth amongst the populace hoping one of our spies would hear the rumor." Dyses explained as the rest of the Royal Guard watched him.
"A trap? how so?" Cort questioned the new guard.
"Well, if we bring troops back from to boarder to protect the king, it will only weaken an already shaky front." Dyses continued. "Even a few hundred missing troops could severely weaken our tactical standing on the boarder" After a pause, the young knight added "My lord."
"Interesting" The king considered this possibility. He had honestly not thought of this possibility. After a moment, he looked to Cort. "How many men do we have stationed in the castle?"
"At the moment, we have less then one hundred men stationed at Castle Redford, my lord. Most available troops are stationed at the boarder." Cort sounded almost nervous, the king noted.
Again the room feel silent as the king considered this. Finally, after many minutes the king spoke. "We cannot sacrifice any men along the boarder, this I am sure. I have complete faith in my Royal Guard to protect me. For now, monitor Holengale's troop movement and notify me of any changes."
"My lord, with all due respect, the guard is only five men." Another voice spoke, Sir Seph, the best fighter of the group. He had won many battles in his time.
The king sighed. "And how many assassins do you think the can sneak past the boarder? No, I have made my decision. Follow your orders, soldier."
Seph's face burnt red for a moment. "Yes, my lord."
"But for now, I am weary. I shall retire now." The king slowly rose from his massive throne, and slowly made his way to his gigantic bedroom.
The king slowly slipped on his luxurious bear pelt robe, and slowly drifted into bed, where his queen was already asleep. Within moment he drifted off himself.

No comments: